Saturday, November 1, 2008

Music That Speaks

I'm not sure what's happening to the music scene these days. What happened to music that you can actually listen to each and every word and understand what's the singer is singing. The trend nowadays seemed to lean towards incessant, speedy, incomprehensible mutterings. What is wrong with singing something that people can actually understand? Or are their lyric writing skills so bad that they have to cover it up by speeding through the lyrics like a runaway train?

But then thinking about it, I was never really in sync with the crowd in terms music preferences.

However, I'd like to introduce you to some of the songs that I really liked.

1. Katie Melua - Nine Million Bicycles
I stumbled upon this when I was a sad and lonely soul in Vietnam and the lyrics really speaks to me. Finding that someone special among the crowd.

2. Adam Sandler - Grow Old With You
Well, most of you would be familiar with this one from the movie "The Wedding Singer". Super funny and touching lyrics.

3. Hugh Grant & Haley Bennett - Way Back into Love
This one has a lovely tune as well as clear audible lyrics which conveys the meaning of the title of the song itself. How simple and nice is that? It's like the K.I.S.S rule that engineers always use. :)

4. Katie Melua - The Closest Thing To Crazy
Another wonderful piece by Katie Melua. I was simply mesmerized by her voice. It's a kind of sad song that reflects the sadness and craziness of youthful romance. At least that's my take of it.

5. The Beatles - Hey Jude
Everyone has heard of this song. Take a sad song and make it better. How more positive can it be?

6. The Beatles - All You Need is Love
A song cannot be simpler and more direct in it's message. There's nothing that is impossible but all you need is to learn to be yourself and of course "Love".


From this selection of songs it is clear that I'm missing someone dearly. So I dedicate all these to you, CH. Especially this one.



To everyone else, I hope you can rediscover the enjoyment of music in it's simplest form. Hope you like it.

5 comments:

Rain said...

I'm so sorry for not being there when you needed me.. I felt so touched by all these songs.. Is it a coincidence? The two OST of Music & Lyrics and The Wedding Singer have the same main actress.. Drew Berrymore.. Hmm...

Bamboo said...

Well, there're those that speaks and those that moves your body... difficult to find those that actually have both qualities :P I prefered songs that I can actually listen to what they say too, but sometimes those gibberish songs did feel kind of relaxing

iamthewitch said...

I like most of the songs that you like too! And bamboo, your hearing is questionable, so all songs may seem gibberish to you :P Haha

Yin Hoon said...

I think we enjoy different songs at different phases, depending on our mood and feelings at that moment. At least, that applies to me.

CY said...

rain: The two OST have nothing to do with Drew Barrymore... or has it? hmm... trick question. I won't answer.

Bamboo: personally, I do not appreciate senseless body grooving songs (eg. the damned frog song). perhaps bcoz I don't dance.

witch: I'm glad you like it.

yinhoon: well, i'd agree with you on this. however, if the song comes with lyrics, i'd still prefer them to be comprehensible.