Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year, New Resolve, New Challenge

First off, Happy New Year Everybody!

Just like that and we're through with 2008.
My new years have always been mundane as I'm not a strong believer of new year resolutions. The most exciting new year for me was being stuck in a traffic jam after being bugged to see fireworks on 31st Dec 2007/1st Jan 2008.

My crossing over to year 2009 was spent sleeping and resting in El Paso, Texas. Why I was in El Paso? That's a tale for another time, after I've posted my long overdue posts of my other travel destinations. However, I wish to share my last breathtaking view of 2008 at a viewing point on the Franklin Mountain. Overlooking 3 states in 2 different countries or so said the guidebook.





The year 2009 must have been a really depressing year to look forward to for a lot of people. What were you thinking when you celebrate the New Year this time around? For me, I was lying in bed watching the news after 600 mile drive. What went through my mind were several big "bangs".

"Bang" no.1 - The sound of aerial bombings and rocket launchers in Israel-Palestine conflict.

"Bang" no.2 - The sound of the oil barrel hitting rock bottom (prices). Mixed feeling on this as I'm in the O&G field of work. Hooray for lower gas price at pump. Nervous and sad due to reduced profit margin in the O&G business (translated to job insecurity / slimmer pocket)

"Bang" no.3 - The sound from credit "crunch" and bursting of the economic bubble supported by excessive spending of Americans (or citizens of the developed countries in general).

"Bang" no.4 - The sound of the "tin-tin kosong" in Malaysian politics banging around doing nothing substantial.

Amidst all these depressing events that happened in 2008 and carried over to 2009. There are some glad tidings as well. Numerous friends and even family got/getting hitched and enjoying/going to enjoy marital bliss. Continued good health of the people I love.

The New Year certainly brings with it new challenges. For me, it would involve a lot of decisions. To stay or not to stay, to invest or not to invest, which path to take? etc... I pray for wisdom and resolve in making and sticking to these decisions when the time comes.

To the newly married, I wish you a blissful marriage. To everybody, I pray that you have the strength and renewed resolve to face this trying times. Above all, I wish you good health as the chinese saying goes "as long as there's a green hill, you won't run out of firewood" ... if you get my drift.

3 comments:

Rain said...

very nice picture...it looks like a poster :)

Talking about job insecurity, I think O&G is still OK compared to some other fields.. At least we are not forced to take leave or leave the company. May be the bonus is going to less this year.. Sigh... wonder when will we get the increment letter..

Anonymous said...

The views are so relaxing... wishing that someday can go to western countries too ^^

Anyway, I hope that the economic situation will get better this year... world in peace...

CY said...

rain: tqtq, more pics on my roadtrip to come.

wykay: You'll need a long long time in US to really enjoy the sights. The attractions are really really far away from each other!

in the mean time just pray that all would be good this year!