Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Growing mushrooms...

It's been 6 days, longest unplanned holiday that I've ever had! Last Friday, in preparation of Hurricane Ike and Monday - Wednesday due to power outage in my office.

Everyday, I would check my email to look out for the newest information from the administration whether power is back in the office. On the first day of closure, Monday that is, I was really happy to know that I get a day of rest. On Monday, I was finally able to finish the book that I've brought along with me to U.S. The book, "New Ideas from Dead Economists", is my first attempt in understanding economics. I have no idea what prompted me to buy this book in the first place. One of the interesting ideas that was presented in this book is that spending will eventually strengthen the economy. Furthermore, if consumers save more instead of spending it, it will actually send the economy into recession. It is an interesting hypothesis that is very much embraced in the "Credit Card Society", but personally I could never agree to it.

By the end of Monday, I got another email stating that my office will still be closed on Tuesday. Fine, I thought, another day of rest. I've finished my book, so maybe I could try watching TV and movies. One thing I realized about Cable TV here in the States is that, regardless of how many channels you have, most of them just kept on repeating the same show over and over again. Boredom started to creep upon me.

Another email was received, and here I am writing this blog in the middle of the day on Wednesday. I could not believe I'd say this but I'm really eager to get back to office. After completing this post, I'd check my email again. Let's hope this time the email says that power is back on and I should report to work tomorrow. Else, I think I could start harvesting the mushrooms already. ^_^

3 comments:

Bamboo said...

So many things to do mah... watch anime online, play games, etc. Also, the economic idea you talk about is widely accepted lah... whenever the gov want to stimulate the economy, the central bank will lower the interest rate so that people would spend more than save... so tricky of them :P

Anonymous said...

finally finish reading up your blog..my dear friend. your shoutout title in MSN kept luring me into your trap, hehe.
keep up the good work, what an interesting experience of States u have!!!

CY said...

bamboo: I'd say there's always too much of a good thing. Eventually I'm fed up with the repetitive nature of all anime.
as for economy, as I say, it's widely embraced but not really my cup of tea. I'm still traditionally educated Chinese ( = stingy ass).

myloonatic: tqtq. thank you for your patronage. I'll TRY to update this blog frequently.