Monday, September 15, 2008

Los Angeles: The City of Angels. (Part 1)

Los Angeles, it's Spanish for City of Angels. It's a wonderful place to be in, the architecture, the pleasant weather, the colourful people, the street graffiti and of course the famous beaches. A whole world of difference compared to where I am in Texas. This trip to L.A is also my first experience of travelling alone... somewhat.

The planning of this trip began when I got to know that my housemate will be posted in L.A. That translates into free accommodation! The next step is to get free flights! That comes in the form of the home trips back to Malaysia I get every 3 months in US. My boss was nice enough to approve my 4 day stopover request in L.A (it costs an extra 300USD... bummer isn't it? It's practically the same route and flight. Just because the stopover is >24hours, that much extra is charged!).

The 4 day trip is essentially just a 2 day trip. I arrived in L.A. around 7p.m. after 19hrs flight, and anly reached the hotel at 10p.m. On my last day, I'll have to leave early in the morning as my flight is at 12p.m.

Anyways, I traveled alone on the next day. My itenary includes Chinatown, Downtown and Hollywood. There are pros and cons of travelling alone. I can go anywhere and do anything I want to, when I want to. The catch is that there's no one for me to share with. When I saw the interesting compass in Chinatown Metro Station, the glimmering facade of Walt Disney Concert Hall, intriguing sculpture in front of MOCA, wonderful mix of sight, sound, smell and taste in the Central Market and the famous "HOLLYWOOD" sign; there's no one to take pics and enjoy it with me. Miss you a lot then, CH.

Chinatown: There practically nothing much there except that you can see some Chinese themed buildings and an interesting Compass.


Interesting compass with inscriptions of the virtues of the Chinese.

Downtown: This is the biggest area I have to cover on foot. Went to see the City Hall, which is not interesting at all. Just a big white building. Then, onwards to the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels. This is a very modern Cathedral, in a shade of beige that reminds you of the rocks and sands in a desert. There is a water feature at the entrance with multi-lingual engravings; really reflects the multi-cultured community in L.A. After that is the controversial but equally magnificent Walt Disney Concert Hall. I even get the chance to do a complete audio guided tour of the whole facility and it is very informative. It's a leisurely stroll after that, covering the Museum of Contemporary Arts (MOCA), California Plaza where there is a live jazz band lunchtime performance amidst numerous fountains and waterfalls, the Grand Central Market and Angel's Flight.


L.A. City Hall: Big white thing... nothing to shout about.


Cathedral: Modern architecture, with colors that reminds you of the desert.


Melodious chime of church bells.


They actually have pipe organ in the Cathedral!


The multi-lingual water feature.


Aah...simply magnificent curves of aluminum sheets. The Walt Disney Concert Hall. Controversial because it caused significant rise in temperature on the streets due to the gleaming aluminum. But that problem was solved... that's why the aluminum is dull now.


Isn't it a sight to behold? The warm colors and coziness of wood panels. Did you notice the jumble of wooden structures that jut out from the floor? Those are the pipes of the organ...I think.


There's even a garden on the rooftop of the Concert Hall.


It's known as the Blue Ribbon Garden ... inscribed on the floor


This water feature is a blue rose made of expensive china broken into pieces!


The L.A. skyscrapers...from the Blue Ribbon Garden.


Interesting sculpture in front of MOCA.


Angel's Flight

Hollywood: I would say Hollywood is simply too hyped up. IMHO, Downtown is a much more interesting place to visit compared to Hollywood. But, I did almost all of the touristy stuffs in Hollywood except for the Hollywood Stars Home tour. This Stars home tour is mostly like a drive-by of certain people's home and it holds absolutely no appeal to me ... I'm not a teenager anymore and I certainly do not idolize any actor/actress. Anyway, I did all the famous buildings and sights (the Pantages, Capitol Records, Grauman's Chinese Theater, Kodak Theater, El Capitan Theater, "HOLLYWOOD" sign, etc.). The most interesting sights in Hollywood are the street performers. Oh, oh almost forgot... there's even a Giordano store in Hollywood & Highland - an upscale destination for entertainment, style and dining. Impressive.


I guess, these stars do not require any introductions.


The Pantages


Metro station at Hollywood.. filled with film reels.


Touristy stuffs that everyone did in Hollywood :D


El Capitan Theater with a HUGE WALL-E


*Updated: Huge WALL-E as requested by "iamthewitch"


Capitol Records Tower


Again, no explanations required... but it is taken at a very far distance with 200mm zoom lens *grin*


Grauman's Chinese Theater where the Star Home tours begins. There are loads of street performers here as well. Beware though, if you snap pics, you tip.


Kodak Theater ... home of the Academy Awards


See if u can see Elmo, Tigger, Barney and Jimmy Neutron in the background. I'm very stingy, so I have to snap from afar to avoid tipping.


Giordano! in Hollywood! never knew they had a high-end line.

The day ends with me having extremely sore feet from all the walking about. My wonderful host was kind enough to take me out for dinner in the comfort of her car. Thank you sooooooo much!

5 comments:

iamthewitch said...

Aww... so sweet to think of your loved one while having fun traveling ;) I'm sure you'll have lots of chance to travel with CH soon! ;) And I love Wall-E! Can't you put up a bigger picture of it? :P

Bamboo said...

Hey, where are the angels? :P

Yin Hoon said...

Met any famous celebrities on the street? :p

CY said...

iamthewitch: as requested I shall update a bigger picture of WALL-E.

bamboo: ... I'm speechless...

yinhoon: Eventually I did see a whole team with camera man and all in front of a lingerie shop in Hollywood. However, I fail to recognize anyone.

iamthewitch said...

Wah! Thanks! So cute the Wall-E! :)