Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Bunch of Naughty, Notorious, Noisy yet Intelligent Brats

I happen to stumble upon the blog of a long time friend today. Although the blog was not updated for a long time, there's this entry which brought back a lot of memories.

I wish to add some details to the period from Standard 4 to 6 in her blog from my point of view. I was her classmate during that period, and continued to be until we finished our high school.

However, unlike her I had been assigned to this class since Standard 1. Perhaps that is why I was rather intrigued to be commented as "a bunch of naughty, notorious, noisy yet intelligent brats".
Furthermore, I never realized that my class used to be feared by teachers.

4 Jingga - If my memory serves me right, this was a special year through out my primary school years. This is the year when the classes are reshuffled and students are differentiated according grades. Quite a few new classmates were introduced to us and some were sent to other classes. We started off with our classroom situated in the end of the oldest buildinng in the school. When I say old, I do mean really old. It was a colonial school and the school was established since 1903, the building itself was perhaps slightly later; 10-15 years the most! There's even a few black and white portraits of the founder's children hung high on the walls of this classroom. Giving it a really gloomy and chilling atmosphere, especially early in the morning. We were a very active bunch of kids back then, but then again, at the age of 10, who wasn't? We played all sorts of games (utilizing pebbles, bottle caps, rubber bands and even rulers) that were perhaps irrelevant in this modern times.

5 Jingga - This year, we were located in a classroom which used to be a Science Lab. I have no idea why the teachers would locate us in this class if we were naughty and notorious, but I'm glad the did. The laboratory was probably not in use for quite some time as all the apparatus and specimens looked really ancient. Part of our activities during the absence of teachers are to explore the multitude of specimens preserved in formalin, the curious apparatus and various substances in glass jars. I remembered us being curious and fascinated with ferrous powder, various colored sodium compounds, as well as preserved snakes and lizards. Perhaps the most interesting to happen that year is the explosion/fire caused by an ancient propane tank in the laboratory during the school holidays.

6 Jingga - The year started off with a bang. A bang in the form of the strictest and most fearsome teacher, Miss M. The person who got the first slap from Miss M is none other than, Tweety, the owner of the blog that got me started writing this. Despite having a super strict teacher, we still did have a great time. Games are played in a more subtle way. We were no longer playing with games that attracted attention and loud. The most interesting game was perhaps the one which I never played. It was very popular among Tweety's group of friends and it was played using none other than our thick textbooks and exercise books. Really hope that Tweety or any of my ex-classmates could elaborate on this game.

Looking back, I would say that we were active, playful and perhaps noisy. However, we were no where near naughty and notorious! :P

I assumed that Tweety's intention when she started the post was to depict her journey of life, which she sadly stopped updating after crossing the Causeway.

I hope that this post will reach her someway and I hope that she'll continue her story and at least give an end to what she started.

5 comments:

Bamboo said...

sigh... I can't even remember the name of my teachers back in primary school... but I do remember that Merah and Jingga are archrivals!!! :P

CY said...

archrival? really? I was actually very blur then... my world used to exists only around Jingga. :P

Anonymous said...

haha...interesting...jingga rules!!!
seems that i reunite with u only when i was handpick into this o'dear Orange class.
btw, who's this Tweety bird ,huh?
i'm previously frm hijau jugak but cant recall back who's the girl is...damn...my memory failing me day by day.

CY said...

hehe, not really a good platform to be revealing names.

let's hope that tweety will continue her blog.

meifong said...

Nostalgia indeed, long live Jingga! Although I have good friends that came from Merah:)